Glitter Glass Magnets and Pins

After my magnet binge, I also tried to think of a few different ways to make some magnets.  This time I used glitter instead of scrapbooking papers and fabrics.  I also used the small 3/4″ glass beads.

First, put a glob of glue on a plate.  Dip the bottom of the bead into the glue, then turn it facedown to sit on a sheet of paper, so the glue is facing up.  Do many of these at a time.

Then sprinkle glitter over top of each of the beads.  Do not press down to embed the glitter into the glue.  This will reduce the sparkle of the glitter.  You want the glitter to sit roughly.

Set a different sheet for each colour of glitter you want to do.

Wait for the glue to fully dry for a full day.  Then  shake the excess glitter off.  Then dip the glitter again in a second coat of Mod-Podge.  You can place your magnet or thumbtack directly into this second coat of glue.  Place them face down again, and let them dry overnight again.  NOTE: if you are doing the magnets, place them  far enough apart so the magents don’t slide off  the bead because it is within the magnetic force of the one next to it.  Also test if your magnets on your fridge if once side has a stronger magnetic force, and make sure you don’t glue that side to the magnet.

These are a great gift idea for any holiday and extremely easy to make.  Make them in orange and black, or red and green, or red and pinks!  They would make a great hostess gift too!

Thanks so much to House of Hepworths for featuring this post!  Check her great blog out….

HouseofHepworths

Related Posts with Thumbnails
This entry was posted in Home Projects, Tutorials. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Glitter Glass Magnets and Pins

1. What a great idea! So simple to do, yet stores would charge a ton for something similar. I love this tutorial. Thanks for posting it. I found you via craft-o-matic mondays.
    Krista
    krista-artista.blogspot.com

2. Peggy says:

Hi Claire,
    Love the idea! I am your newest follower!
    Peggy

3. Deborah says:

Just the CUTEST!! A great idea just in time for Christmas!! Thanks!

Deborah (happily visiting from

{hope you drop by!}

4. Pingback: 27 Hookin Up with HoH #65

5. You are so awesome that I just had to feature you this week at my Hookin Up with HoH par-tay!

Feel free to stop by and grab a button! You deserve it.

xoxo

Allison @ House of Hepworths

6. Oh my gosh these are so fantastic! I am embarrassed to say I have never used Mod-Podge but this wonderful tutorial has convinced me I’m missing out. I found you via House of Hepworths. Love this!

7. Kirsten says:

These are so cool! I love the glass magnets, but never thought of this! Love it so much…I HAVE to pin these! I found you through HOH too!

8. Those are so cool! I never thought of using those pepples on thumbtacks.

9. Lisa says:

These are so adorable. I can’t wait to make them with my daughter. Thanks for sharing.

10. I LOVE this! A good fast craft that I can make with supplies I already have… and they’re so fun! I’m going to have to make some ASAP! : )

11. Sarah K says:

These glitter magnets & thumbtacks are so fun!! I can think of several people that would love these for Christmas! Found you through HOH!

12. Amanda says:

Awesome idea! I’m a preschool teacher and was thinking maybe kids could use these on a light table- do you think you would be able to see the glitter color through the stones?

13. So fun! thanks for sharing.

14. Jen says:

I made these a few years ago, but they all fell apart pretty quickly. The glue peeled right off the glass. Never had that problem when bonding paper to the glass marbles, only the glitter. Any tips?

15. canadianblonde says:

Did you use proper “Mod Podge”, and was it fresh? Mine were done almost a year ago. I also stored them in a very hot garage over the summer, and they seem to have held up just fine and aren’t peeling. I don’t know how to help. sorry.

16. Gabby says:

Saw your link on Ingenious Inkling. I like the look of these glittered glass beads. Thanks for the tutorial. I will definitely try this.

17. Pingback: My Top 10 Favorite Crafty Gifts « Chaotic and Crafty

18. Msmag says:

I have done this and they look great. One additional step I do, is when the glitter is completely dry, I spray the glitter side with clear lacquer. That way, no glitter comes off on your hands when you handle them.

19. Gracie says:

Hi there,
    Thanks so much for this lovely tutorial, which I plan on following for stocking fillers fro the coming holidays.

I was wondering, could you please tell me what size your bags of glitter are? I can’t tell how much to buy. And also how many magnets/pins you made total?

Thanks so much, have a great day!
    Gracie.

20. I love that you made them into thumb tacks!